Single family residence (SFR)
1. You have control over all decisions pertaining to your home. If you want to have a rainbow colored front door, go for it!
2. Generally, SFR's have more square footage.
3. If you have pets, they are more pet-friendly since they usually have a larger yard.
4. More privacy thanks to no shared walls.
5. Generally higher resale value.
1. Increased cost - all maintenance and repairs fall to you, the homeowner.
2. Lack of amenities you may find in a condo/townhome community (pool/gym/clubhouse).
3. Generally more expensive to purchase.
1. Less maintenance/upkeep since HOA handles all exterior landscaping and maintenance of building exteriors.
2. Possible availability of amenities (pool/gym/clubhouse).
3. Increased sense of security due to neighbors being close.
1. HOA fees, which can vary widely depending on location and amenities offered.
2. Inability to customize the exterior of your home due to HOA regulations.
3. Less privacy due to shared walls.
4. Not as pet friendly due to smaller, sometimes non-existent, backyard.
5. Generally lower resale value.
There are always exceptions to these generalizations. There are single family residences in some HOAs, allowing you to blend the pros of each type, and buy the perfect home that fits your needs. If I can be of any assistance to you in your home search, please don't hesitate to call, text, or email me today!